The Business Environment and Concepts (BEC) section of the Uniform CPA Examination (CPA) tests knowledge and skills that a newly licensed CPA must demonstrate when performing:
• Audit, attest, accounting and review services
• Financial reporting
• Tax preparation
• Other professional responsibilities in their role as certified public accountants
The BEC section is designed to have the following exam time and question types on the US CPA Exam:
|Section||Section Time||Multiple-choice questions (MCQs)||Task-based simulations (TBSs)||Written Communication|
The scoring weight of multiple-choice questions (MCQs), task-based simulations (TBSs) and written communication for BEC section on the US CPA Exam is as follows:
|Section||Multiple-choice questions (MCQs)||Task-based simulations (TBSs)||Written Communication|
The following table summarizes the content areas and the allocation of content tested in the BEC section of the Exam:
|Area I||Corporate Governance||17–27%|
|Area II||Economic Concepts and Analysis||17–27%|
|Area III||Financial Management||11–21%|
|Area IV||Information Technology||15-25%|
|Area V||Operations Management||15-25%|
Here are some tips you must keep in mind while preparing for the BEC exam:
1. Spend more time practicing questions, than reading/ learning theory. The MCQs are generally more practical in nature, than theoretical.
2. Most people find out why an answer is not right. However, always identify the cause of your correct answer, as well. Sometimes you may get the answer right by chance. Ensure the logic applied by you is sound. Reading the answer explanation is highly important.
3. Task-Based Simulations (TBSs) should be attempted after you have a stronghold in the MCQ section, since simulations do not always conform to chapter boundaries and can test concepts from various disciplines. However, if you are good with the entire MCQs section, you will not find the TBSs as difficult, they will feel like long-form MCQs.
4. Written Communications are straightforward and will just need careful planning. Here are some tips to solve WCTs:
- The CPA exam will present 3 WCTs of which one is a pretest that does not carry any marks. It is not possible to know which amongst the 3 is a pretest question. Hence all 3 should be answered well
- The memo should be written in 3- 5 concise paragraphs and should appeal to the target audience. Start with an introductory para and end with a proper conclusion
- The examiners want to test your ability to write formal memos/ letters. Hence grammar, punctuations and correct word usage is very important
- Write down the keywords and the manner in which your memo will flow before you actually start writing
- Be clear whether you are required to give advice, recommendation, comparison or just information
- Never sign off as CPA (cause you are not already a CPA). You can use Future CPA or CPA student, or not signing off is also okay, as it does not carry any marks
- Be sure to proofread in the end
Read more about the US CPA related articles in our blog section: https://blogs.mileseducation.com/cpa/
Read more about FAR: https://blogs.mileseducation.com/cpa/financial-accounting-and-reporting-far/
Read more about REG: https://blogs.mileseducation.com/cpa/regulation-reg/
Read more about AUD: https://blogs.mileseducation.com/cpa/auditing-and-attestation-aud-format-and-tips/
9 thoughts on “Business Environment and Concepts (BEC)”
Thanks for sharing this useful information about this section of CPA.
The blog was highly informative and helpful. Especially, the tips regarding the BEC section were insightful!
Very helpful information for students who wants to give this exam
This blog gives a lot of important information about section BEC. A must-read for people pursuing CPA.
This blog helps to know about Business Environment and Concepts (BEC) as important subject of CPA and it involves tips that must be kept mind for preparing BEC exam it also involves exam time , question types , MCQ, allocation of content tested in BEC exam to know a glance towards this BEC exam in details to students
It is very important for any business to understand BEC, to be a CPA requires to have great knowledge in this aspects is very important..
This blog helped me realise the importance of BEC in the processing of being a CPA.
I would definitely apply the tips and tricks to crack my examination.
The blog was informative and helpful. Especially, the tips regarding the BEC section were insightful.
This blog is helpful as the tips and tricks regarding the BEC section can be applied to crack the examination.
The blog is undoubtedly highly informative and helpful as it provided us with precise informations regarding BEC sections and more.