The Regulation (REG) section of the Uniform CPA Examination (the Exam) tests the knowledge and skills that a newly licensed CPA must demonstrate with respect to:
– U.S. federal taxation
– U.S. ethics and professional responsibilities related to tax practice
– U.S. business law
The REG section is designed to have the following exam time and question types on the US CPA Exam:
|Section||Section Time||Multiple-choice questions (MCQs)||Task-based simulations (TBSs)||Written Communication|
The scoring weight of multiple-choice questions (MCQs), task-based simulations (TBSs) and written communication for REG section on the US CPA Exam is as follows:
|Section||Multiple-choice questions (MCQs)||Task-based simulations (TBSs)||Written Communication|
The following table summarizes the content areas and the allocation of content tested in the REG section of the Exam:
|Area I||Ethics, Professional Responsibilities and Federal Tax Procedures||10–20%|
|Area II||Business Law||10–20%|
|Area III||Federal Taxation of Property Transactions||12–22%|
|Area IV||Federal Taxation of Individuals||15-25%|
|Area V||Federal Taxation of Entities||28-38%|
Here are a few tips to keep in mind while preparing for the REG exam
1. Spend more time practicing questions, than reading/ learning theory. The MCQs are generally more practical in nature, than theory.
2. Most people find out why an answer is not right. However, always identify the cause of your correct answer, as well. Sometimes you may get the answer right by chance. Ensure the logic applied by you is sound. Reading the answer explanation is highly important.
3. Task-Based Simulations (TBSs) should be attempted after you have a stronghold in the MCQ section, since simulations do not always conform to chapter boundaries and can test concepts from various disciplines. However, if you are good with the entire MCQs section, you will not find the TBSs as difficult, they will feel like long-form MCQs.
4. The REG section of the CPA exam requires a higher attention to detail in comparison to the other sections. One would have to digest a number of rules and regulations to pass this section, so investing the time needed to remember the concepts serves as an important tip.
Read more about the US CPA related articles in our blog section: https://blogs.mileseducation.com/cpa/
Read more about FAR: https://blogs.mileseducation.com/cpa/financial-accounting-and-reporting-far/
Read more about BEC: https://blogs.mileseducation.com/cpa/business-environment-and-concepts-bec/
Read more about AUD: https://blogs.mileseducation.com/cpa/auditing-and-attestation-aud-format-and-tips/
17 thoughts on “What is Regulation (REG) in the CPA exam?”
The tips that are provided here are very practical and effective for preparation of REG exam.
The tips are very usefull if someone takes this genuinely and works upon this .
Very helpful and clearly explained.
Miles education very clearly explain about the Regulations in the CPA exams. Step by step they have explained. It is very helpful if some one pursue this course from Miles.
This is been explained clearly and it’s quite helpful
It is very for the students for to understand in a easy method.. And it is clearly explained in step by step..
They have explained step by step and it’s very easy to understand….Go for it …
This blog is very easy to undersatnd and very effective for students who want this certification.
This blog helps to know about Regulation as important subject of CPA exam and it involves tips that must be kept mind for preparing Regulation (REG) exam it also involves exam time, question types , MCQ , allocation of content tested in Regulation exam to know a glance towards this Regulation exam in details to students
Came to know more about CPA regulation exam.
This is very helpful for a student to understand the topic . It is simply explained and one can understand it easily.
It gave me a fair idea about the regulations of CPA exam.. Good and knowledgeable blog
Came to know more about COA exams.
Came to know more about the CPA exam.
this really gave me a clear idea about the format and what all to do while preparing for the exam. Thank you for providing us with such a goood content
It’s good to see an honest opinion about the subject and on how to study them.
I must have to thankful to the miles education for providing the excellent online education to the students the tips which they are giving to the students it’s very practical….
Thank you miles education.